A Day in the Life

I read the news today, oh boy…..Actually I didn’t. I never got around to it. A recent post at Necromancy  spurred me to attempt to track a recent day in my increasingly busy life. I chose Monday and now it’s Thursday and I’m still trying to write this post.

I wrote things down, willy-nilly, on a variety of note paper and post-it notes throughout the day while, at the same time, trying to do the things I made note of. Here’s a photo of the notes:


So, here was my Monday. Not every day is this hectic but as my kids move up to high school and middle school, I have a feeling there will be more like this than not.

6:10am – alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
6:14 – alarm goes off again. Turn it off. Get out of bed. Put on robe, feet in shoes, turn on coffee pot and a few lights, plug in the internet modem (I unplug it at night because it’s in my bedroom – long story – and the lights drive me nuts; I need to sleep in pitch darkness), turn off fan and white noise machine, get in the shower.
6:40 – emerge from bathroom; fill cat bowls with food and water; let Pokey and Franklin in; feed Charlie on the porch; pour cup of coffee; fill girls’ water bottles and place in living room; pull out their lunch bags, insert ice packs and place next to water bottles. Turn on phone.
6:45 – wake up Red. Find out what she wants for breakfast (cereal), ask if she needs to be nebulized (yes).
6:50 – assemble nebulizer and give it to her, set up cereal and soymilk at the table, put Dusty’s bagel and my waffle in the toaster oven, pull out lunch stuff.
7:00 – retrieve nebulizer thing and rinse out, make sandwich, pack lunch. Drink half the now-lukewarm coffee, spread bagel with cream cheese, spread waffle with soybutter, put Dusty’s bagel in a bowl and place next to her lunch.
7:15 – Red emerges and eats breakfast while I get dressed with coffee cup in  tow. Dress. Choose earrings. Pack computer. Bathroom trip. Put on makeup.
7:25 – Tell Red to go brush teeth and hair. Assemble all the things I need to take to work – #s and bills for cancelling things, IRS info re form I need to print and fill out, calendar, book, bag for putting all the things in, computer bag, lunch, purse, second cup of coffee in travel mug. Turn off coffee pot.
7:35 – Red and I get in the car and drive down to bottom of driveway. Grab paper from paper box. Give comics to Red. Listen to radio and discuss what the hell Zayn was thinking to leave 1D. Dusty joins us in the car.
7:57 – Bus, driven by substitute driver, finally arrives 10 minutes late. Dusty and I discuss things – teachers that annoy her, our glee that a CVS is being built nearby, what’s basically going on in her head. This is one of the few times of day that we get to talk.
8:23 – Drop Dusty off at school. Finish coffee.
8:32 – Arrive at work. Bathroom trip. Write morning pages. Eat breakfast. Read email. Plan work day.
9:04 – Work.
9:30 – Meeting with VP that creates more work.
10:30 – Meeting over. Back to work. Print IRS form and put in my bag.
12:23pm – Eat sandwich at desk and call phone company to cancel landline. Cancel Weight Watchers. Cancel old cell phone. Make list of who needs new number.
12:40 – Drive over to mechanic’s and pay off debt with more debt. This should feel like a load off my chest but it doesn’t. I’m still in debt.
12:50 – Work.
3:15 – Leave to pick up Dusty from school and get band cookie dough. Drive back to work and deliver it to our paying customers.
3:40 – Dusty and I leave to pick up Red at after-school care.
4:45 – Home. Bring in mail, feed cats (and let them in), do dishes to clear sink. Make dinner.
5:05 – Eat. Wash more dishes. Bathroom. Change clothes.
6:00 – Leave for the middle school’s “cultural arts night”.
6:25 – Arrive at school. Dusty heads for the band room. Red and I find seats.
7:00 – Concert: chorus sings two songs that are heavy on the religious side (sigh) and band plays two songs. Everyone sounds good but the saxophones.
7:20 – Leave, with Dusty’s friend in tow, before play begins. Drop friend off at home.
7:45 – Home. Red takes a shower while I make her lunch (because of the late hour). Dusty disappears to do homework.
8:00 – Watch The Voice. Red joins me when she’s out of the shower. I heat up a cinnamon roll for her.
8:45 – Set up nebulizer while Red brushes her teeth. She’s nebulized and put to bed.
9:05 – More Voice. Dusty pops in long enough to say good night. I remind her to make her lunch. There’s an audible sigh and a rolling of eyes.
10:00 – Watch a bit more tv, wash more dishes, set up coffee pot for the morning.
10:30 – Bathroom. Brush teeth. Take meds. Turn off lights. Throw cats outside. Unplug modem. Turn on fan and white noise machine. Find book. Crawl in bed. Read for 10 minutes.
11:00 – Good night!


2 thoughts on “A Day in the Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s